Tuesday 17 July 2012

I've talked a little bit on this blog about learning things to do with clothing, outfits, makeup and losing weight so I thought I'd do a post sharing where I've learned things from - and what exactly I've learned.

TV shows
I watched a lot of How to Look Good Naked and 10 Years Younger and learned about using belts, magic knickers (Spanx) for smoothing my midsection when wearing dresses, and accessorising.

Blogs
What I Wore Today got me started on my colourful shoes kick. I don't follow her blog anymore but while I did I learned about layering items of clothing to put together different outfits, I learned to look at everything when out shopping, including strapless or sleeveless items that I'd normally not wear (layer a cardigan over or a top underneath).
T Minus T Plus has some great inspiration outfits - and unlike most fashion blogs, she is not stick thin, proving that you can look stylish and put together even if you're plus-sized.
What I Wore is great for dipping in and out of. I love her individual style.
Dailylook is very current and teaches me about the latest trends. (Plus each item featured is available for purchase at a discounted price, if you're looking to buy.)
This post, this post and this post taught me all about how to find the most flattering fit of jeans. Seriously, you have to check these posts out - they are so informative and funny too!
Other fashion blogs I follow are:
After Style Comes Fashion
Cotton & Curls
Freckles in April
How Not to Dress Like a Mom
J's Everyday Fashion
La Vie Petite
Lilly's Style
Merrick's Art
Pink Margarite Pearl
What She Wore 365
Welcome to the gOOd life

Books

The Trinny and Susannah books are awesome for learning about what suits my figure and why, and what is appropriate for which occasion. Here are some I found particularly helpful:
Body Shape Bible
What Not To Wear for Every Occasion
What Not to Wear
What You Wear Can Change Your Life

YouTube
I learned how to do makeup properly by watching tutorials on YouTube. Some of the channels I found particularly helpful are:
amarixe
glamourista16
lisaeldridgedotcom
MakeupByTiffanyD
RachhLoves

Pinterest
Aaah, Pinterest. What did I do before Pinterest? Such a source of inspiration of all kinds. Here are some of my Project Jen related boards where you can see the things I've pinned (they link back to the original source):
Clothing and jewellery craft projects
Fashion
Jewellery
Makeup
Nails
Shoes

Shopping with a friend
Honestly, the best way that I learned what does and does not suit my body was when I had an event to go to and I had to find an outfit for it and went intensively shopping and tried everything on.

It was after I'd lost weight and had to replace my entire wardrobe, so I literally had nothing to wear for the occasion. Grant aws receiving a commendation and I was going to the ceremony. I took my extremely stylish friend Rachel with me and hit an outlet mall and then moved onto regular stores and just tried on everything that caught my eye.

It was kind of depressing. There I was, with this cute new figure, and I felt ugly and lumpy and gross because 95% of what I tried on didn't work. BUT I learned very quickly what did and didn't work and why. Now I can glance at an item on the rack and know if it's even worth trying on. Some things just straight up are never going to look good on me (hello, bias cut anything) so I don't waste time trying them.

I hope some of these resources are helpful to you! Let me know if you have a resource that you'd like to share, or if you check any of these out and they help.

No comments:

Post a Comment